Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Starbucks: The App with Benefits

Late last year, I downloaded the Starbucks app onto my phone.  Yeah, that was pretty much it.  Another business, another app.

Later that same day, with the app loaded onto my phone, I realized I could place my Starbucks card onto the app.  Flipping the card over, I punched in the numbers on the back of the card and before my eyes, that exact card came onto the screen with my account balance.  This allowed me to use the card for purchases and card reloads through my iPhone.

I felt fairly cutting edge, whipping out my phone and holding the screen beside the scanner as it took away the charge for my coffee.  But that was about it.

THEN, I actually started reading the messages that Starbucks would send once or twice a week to their app.  I had always figured that it was the usual advertising "junk email" that you always receive.  As I looked into the app's message box, I saw a message that stated, "Pick of the Week,  Free App Download".  I couldn't resist.  I downloaded the app to what would become one of my favorite games.  The next week, "Pick of the Week, Free Song Download".   Over the summer I have downloaded 8 songs.  All free!  Just today, I downloaded a Cheryl Crow song, all compliments of Starbucks.

If you enjoy free music and apps, I highly recommend the Starbucks app.  The app is free, just like the downloads.

I would like to give a pat on the back to Starbucks for an excellent app with benefits!