Saturday, September 21, 2013

Finally: Chicory Coffee in a K-Cup

As a child, while living on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, 45 miles east of New Orleans, I watched my mother drink her daily cup of Luzianne Coffee.  Luzianne Coffee is one of a handful of coffees that contain chicory as an ingredient.  Later in life, I began to drink chicory coffee myself.  Chicory coffee, found mostly in the New Oleans, Gulf Coast area, is a delicious blend of coffee.

A couple of years ago, I started using a Keurig to brew my coffee.  Up until that point, I had used a generic coffee maker.  Luzianne, CDM, French Market and Community Coffee had all provided good blends of chicory coffee for my coffee maker, but until recently, none provided it in a K-Cup.  Just a few weeks ago, while on Amazon, I typed in the phrase, "chicory k-cup".  Right before my eyes, French Market Coffee provided me with what I think to be the only chicory K-Cup coffee that exists.  Immediately, I ordered the medium dark roast blend.

Within a couple of days, my shipment of a box of 12 K-Cups of French Market chicory coffee arrived.  Almost immediately I placed a K-Cup in the Keurig and made a cup of coffee.  It was as delicious as ever!

To the folks at French Market Coffee, I'd like to give you a pat on the back for providing a product that has been needed for some time.

UPDATE:  A pat on the back to Community Coffee!  I generally order my K-Cups through Amazon on a subscription basis.  At some point a few months ago, I was sent an email from Amazon that my supplier was unable to provide the product that I had requested (French Market K-Cups).  I logged onto Amazon.com and searched for chicory coffee.  To my surprise, Community now offers their chicory coffee in K-Cups.  The price was slightly better than what the other supplier had been offering and so for the past few months I have been drinking Community's New Orleans Blend coffee.  It has a good taste and the price is slightly lower than what I was paying for French Market.  Also, it is available at my local Kroger.

2016 UPDATE:  Last year, I switched back to purchasing French Market C offee K-Cups through Amazon.  I kind of like the taste of French Market a bit better than Community but everyone has their own taste and both are very good.  On a recent trip to New Orleans, I stopped in on the Cafe Du Monde in Kenner, LA.  On the shelf beside some Cafe Du Monde Mugs, t-shirts and coffee was Cafe Du Monde chicory coffee in a K-Cup.  I did not know that this existed.  The price was very reasonable at $8 for 12 K-Cups.  I have yet to try the Cafe Du Monde K-Cup but felt that you should know about this option.  Cafe Du Monde K-Cups can be bought from CDM's website.

2018 UPDATE: Two things:  First, I have started getting a limited supply of Cafe Du Monde Coffee in a K-Cup either from Cafe du Monde's  Kenner, LA location or online from Cafe du Monde's website.  It has a great flavor and has become my weekend coffee.   Second, I always drink Half & Half in my chicory coffee and for years I drank Land O' Lakes Fat-Free Half & Half until I discovered it's ingredients and discovered that it was full of corn syrup.  At that point, I decided to not worry about fat-free and I tried Land O' Lakes Buttercream Style Half & Half.  It is absolutely delicious in any chicory coffee and also most any cold brew.